In Deadwood, Nick Caden discovers the body of Billy the Kid. Is there a "ghost" killer running loose in this old west ghost town?
2013 Selah Award Finalist for Middle Grade Fiction
It's all for show...right? Nothing more than Hollywood theatrics? "This is an authentic old west ghost town," the sheriff tells Nick. "Around these parts the dead don't stay dead."
But Nick Caden's vacation becomes a nightmare when this "living" ghost town takes a deadly turn toward trouble. Soon Nick finds himself trapped in a stable with the infamous outlaw Jesse James. The shooter whirls, aims and... vanishes. Great theatrics, Nick thinks. Only then does he discover the body of a real dead cowboy.
Soon Nick is caught in a deadly chase---from an abandoned gold mine, through forbidden buffalo hunting grounds, and across Rattlesnake Gulch. Around every turn he finds another suspect. Will Nick solve the murder before his family leaves Deadwood? Or will the town's desperate need for tourists' income bury the haunting truth that something "ghost-like" lives in Deadwood?
In this middle-grade murder mystery series, award-winning author Eddie Jones takes readers on a Wild, Wild, West ride.
* The Monster Mysteries are Award Winning Middle Grade Novels
* Each story involves a "monster" from the Bible: ghost, vampire origins, walking dead, man turned to beast, phantom
* Short, fun, fast read, spiced with humor and illustrations
* No profanity, sexual overtones or glorification of evil
* Book report / criminal report questions for each case
* Encourages readers to list suspects, follow clues, question motives, and look for half-truths and lies in alibis
* Reinforces the Golden Rule
* Honors family
* Middle Grade audiobooks series
* A good book for boys who like to read
★ Want to help teen sleuth Nick Caden solve an Old West Ghost Town murder in Deadwood? ★
Complete the Dead Man's Hand: Official Criminal Inquiry: Write a Book Report - Catch a Crook to see if you have the makings of a homicide detective. With this easy-to-follow "homicide detective" worksheet, you can fill in the answers to the questions while you read. When finished, your book report should be thorough enough to convict a killer! Check out the book report questions on this page under the "From the Author" section.
Awards for the Monster Mysteries series:
- Winner of the Selah award for tween / teen mysteries
- INSPY Award nominee
- Moonbeam Children's Book Award nominee
Praise for the Monster Mysteries series
"This series has the same longevity and wholesome quality as "The Hardy Boys" and "Nancy Drew" but the author writes for today's youth." ~ Amazon review
"I enjoyed reading this fun, suspense adventure. Great book for middle school. Teen boys and girls will enjoy it, too!" ~ Amazon review
"I would think it would be for ages nine and up. A good Christian book for boys." ~ Amazon review
"I was guessing until the end of the book. I did not know who it was. Even adults will enjoy this book." ~ Amazon review
Written for the General Market (G): Contains no; sexual dialogue or situations, violence, or strong language.
Release date: July 23, 2019
Publisher: Dry Bones Publishing
Print pages: 226
* BingeBooks earns revenue from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate as well as from other retail partners.